What better way to celebrate April Fools’ Day than by recognizing one of America’s most notorious fools as our Bigot of the Week. This week’s honor goes to the nefaroius Donald Trump. While “The Donald” certainly has enough baggage in his bigot closet to have earned this award before, his recent hints about a run for the Presidency in 2012 have him all over the news, revealing his views in all their glory. Where does he stand on the issues?
- Women’s Health: “I really have changed in my views over the years but I am pro-life.” The term is anti-choice, Mr. Trump.
- Gun Control: Every “law-abiding” citizen should have all the guns they want. How many gun sights will go up on your campaign site, Donald?
- Business Regulation: America should support business in every way and should be run like a business. (Just like those hotels you ran into bankruptcy?)
- Marriage Equality: Chatting with Bill O’Reilly on FOX, he said, “I just don’t feel good about it. I don’t feel right about it…I’m opposed to gay marriage.” Because LGBTQ American’s don’t deserve the right to three successful marriages like his, right?
- He’s also against foreign aid (Tough luck, Japan!), favors repeal of the Affordable Care Act (because he can afford any care he wants, right?), and likes to sue charities that raise money to block sex trafficking. Classy.
Pushing him over the top for this week’s award, however, is Trump’s pandering to the birther movement. In a blatant appeal to racism and Islamophobia, Trump has repeatedly lied about President Obama’s religion and birthplace. Ironically, the birth certificate that Trump provided to prove his good faith and citizenship was an obvious fake.
One of the great things about America is supposed to be that any citizen can dream of one day being President. In Donald Trump’s case, the great thing about democracy should be the voters lining up to tell him, “You’re fired!”