Never did I think I would actually sing the praises of George Bush Sr.! Alas this praise is testament to how horrific Paul Ryan is as V.P. candidate. Not since 1900 have we seen such a conservative (fascist) put up as a candidate for vice president by a major party. Even Ronald Reagan (whose name the Republicans love to invoke but whose policies would fail the Tea test) appointed a smart man, George Bush Sr., who served as a reasonable balance to his experience. Romney has not only been drinking the tea, but seems now to be brewing his own special blend of tea called, Crazy, hypocritical, bigoted, misogynistic, racist, homophobic special blend.
Is it a coincidence he has picked Ryan from Wisconsin — the state that gave us Joe McCarthy and Scott Walker? Michele Bachmann’s evil twin, Paul Ryan( I Hate Old People) makes Satan look like Mother Teresa. He pushes his “Austerity Measures” such as cutting Medicare while applying for government monies. According to International Business Times, Ryan has asked for:
- $400,000 for a water treatment plant
- $300,000 for a technical college where General Motors workers (based in a Janesville factory) could be retrained
- $735,000 to improve Janesville’s bus system
- $3.3 million for highway projects throughout Wisconsin
- $1.2 million in government grants toward construction of the Janesville Innovation Center, which was reportedly intended to provide entrepreneurs with commercial space to launch their projects. The funding was made available through the Economic Development Administration, one of President Obama’s major stimulus programs.
- Janesville was picked as one of the locations for new factories specializing in the production of medical tracers, or a radioactive isotope used to treat melanoma. The federal government offered $25 million matching grants to companies that could devise a way to produce the product domestically; two of those four plants will be in Wisconsin’s Rock County.
Mr. Ryan, where do you think the money you are asking for comes from? It comes from taxes–taxes that are not being paid by the 1%. Ryan’s philosophy is so typical: “I have mine and I don’t care if you ever get yours.”
It is reasonable that since Romney refuses to be pinned down to any position, we look to his new running mate for clarity. That view is nothing short of apocalyptic. It’s quite telling that John McCain has just called Romney’s pick “bold.” We all know how well McCain’s bold choice went four years ago. It seems there’s something broken in the GOP VP Vetting machine. Just look at the string of choices.
- Dan Quayle — who could neither spell nor tie his own shoelaces
- Jack Kemp — not unreasonable on his own, perhaps, but a horrible fit with Presidential candidate Bob Dole
- Darth Cheney — who picked himself as the Shrub’s deputy in command
- Sarah Palin — whose contributions to late night comedy do not counterbalance the damage she did to the national discourse
And now, Paul Ryan, love child of Margaret Thatcher and Ayn Rand emerges. It seems a horrible miscalculation by Romney, who needed to win the center rather than secure the base. Let’s hope that as America comes to know this horrific pair better the best choice for America’s future becomes abundantly clear. (SPOILER ALERT: It’s not Romney / Ryan…)